Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Aamchi Pao

This "ethnic" sandwich craze is really taking off. First Vietnamese, then Cambodian, I hear Mexican will be next. So when an Indian sandwich/street food place opened relatively near my office, Aamchi Pao, I had to try it. Do they have something to contribute or are they just vying for their piece of the excitement?

I think after eating there twice now, the answer is yes. Yes, their food is good. Some of it is even great. Is it particularly different than the kati or roti roll places that have been around for years? No. Especially if you order the more expensive and more filling paratha option.

If you opt for a Pao, expect sliders. Very good sliders on chewy, buttery rolls, but sliders nonetheless. The best filling that I tried by far was the Spinach Lentil Tikki with tomato mustard chutney, ginger, and turmeric pickle. The bhaji (potato) that I'd heard so much about and the lamb fillings were both bland. And rather than order the chicken chapli pao, save your money for the much jucier and tastier version with chickpeas and rice from Sammy's Halal cart at 6th Ave and 4th Street.

As for the rumored Devi desserts, both times I've tried to order them, that's all they were, a rumor. So don't hold your breath.

0 comments:

Post a Comment